Skip to main content

Benefits of Circle time || Sample Circle time routine || The Cuddle Blog

 I talk about circle time a lot and how we use it in our home. One of the questions I get is “What is Circle Time” We will talk about circle time in this post and all there is to know about it. 



So, What is Circle time? 

According to Wikipedia 

Circle time refers to any time that a group of people are sitting together for an activity involving everyone

Circle time is mostly used in schools as a way to promote social interactions among children, listening, increase attention span, physical activities and as a way to introduce new concepts and skills but who says it can’t be adapted to our homes? 

The benefits are still the same as with those in school as when you introduce circle time in your home, you are promoting social interaction, encouraging listening with your child(ren), increasing physical activities etc. It will be a set time for you to bond with your child(ten) while you engage in different activities or as a way to transition into a different part of your day. 

What’s a simple circle time routine?  


  • Say Hello or Sing the hello song.
  • Weather Song 
  • Different Action Songs 
  • National Anthem 
  • Theme song 
  • Read a book
  • Introduce what you might be working on in your homeschool that day 

It differs per person and family and you can be flexible with how yours go, just ensure that you incorporate activities that make them move, dance, listen, sit down. 

Things to note about circle time


  • Your child might not be interested at first and that is okay. Just keep doing it and inviting them to join you. One day you’d sing a song they like and they would join you. 
  • Let go of perfection. It won’t be perfect especially with younger kids, just be consistent. 
  • You have to plan ahead, you won’t know until when you are in the thick of things and all the songs you think you know are not coming to mind. 
  • Have a routine but also be flexible. Have some particular songs or activities you do that it predictable but also be flexible enough to listen to your child
  • Be focused. Put your phone away, attention span is very short and you can lose them quickly when they are not engaged. Don’t. 
  • Depending on the age of your child, circle time should not be for too long. 
What do you do in your circle time?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling in a pandemic || You don't have to, do this instead

  Let’s face it, we are all different and I know that there might be a lot of people out there trying to encourage you to homeschool your kids in this pandemic but homeschooling is not for everyone. As much as some people can try they just don’t have it in their bones, as much as some people can try they are just too exhausted to do it, as much as some people can try they just can’t juggle the demands of working from and homeschooling.  Just like everything else, homeschooling is HARD !!! We have been thrown into a difficult situation all over the world and while we are struggling to be stable mentally, we have to deal with homeschooling too and working from home? Sigh!! I said you don’t have to homeschool in the sense of the word “Home” “school” you don’t need to have a table and chair, designated area or attending zoom classes for your younger kids to feel like you are keeping them engaged. You’d find that the work it takes for your to even keep them focused on the said virtual clas

My evolving homeschooling philosophy

  I never saw myself as someone who would homeschool my child. Looking back I would say I found myself on this path mostly because I like to challenge the status quo. I listened to a TED talk many years ago about a man who started asking questions till they changed the way they worked in their organization which led to them asking more questions and they decided to rethink the way education is done today but at the time I didn’t think too much of it, little did I know that a seed was sown. When my son turned 1, it was the natural order of things to having the ‘school’ conversation and I had already started school shopping. I went to different schools in the area to plan for him when he is 18 months to start. I only saw one Montessori school that I really liked but when I got the bill I just couldn’t understand. I just kept wondering what is he going to school from 8-12 (Which included nap time) to learn for almost half a million naira per term? We had been doing activities at home sin

Simple Homeschooling routine for toddlers || Homeschooling in Nigeria

  This article was first written on   FabMum Home-schooling in Nigeria is getting popular, but still not popular enough not to get the weird look when you say your child is not starting traditional school till 5. With more mums looking into the option of taking up the role of homeschooling their children for the first few years there is an absolutely need for support. I have had almost 2 years to research and find people with the interest in Nigeria to be comfortable enough to officially say “I am homeschooling my son” I officially started homeschooling this year and my son who is almost 2 years old is doing better than I thought. Although, we’ve been home together all his life and we have done so many activities together, I felt that this was going to be so different and difficult but just like everything in life it comes with its challenges but nothing not handle able (if that is a word) as I have discovered. As a stay at home mum who decides to home school your child after the age o